RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 200ton 18meter Live aboard submarine

Hello Ian,

In the case of submerged cruising, I would think that a 10 meter depth wouldn't be deep enough to stay out of harms way with some of the larger ships out there. Even if they don't hit you at first, I've heard stories of submarines being sucked up into a ship and there massive props. Of course having good sonar is helpful, but if your taking a nap, you might get hit.  I have some relatives that are avid sailer's, and they hit a massive basking shark, and the shark didn't like it one bit and came after them and bit a big chunk off there rudder. So I guess the moral of the story is don't snooze in the shallows, in the shipping lanes.

I was thinking of my personal experience with concrete used in building construction that for floor slabs we would have fibermesh ( short strands of fiberglass) added to the mixing truck to make are slabs much more resistant to cracking over time. The stress rating for this type of concrete was so much higher that some guys didn't even put in much if any rebar and/or the large binding mesh. I was thinking that fibermesh or something like it could be useful in your sub hull.  There is also a type of special rebar that I see used on bridges and the like that is coated with a special (usually green) coating to keep them from rusting out when embedded in the concrete.

Regards,
Brent Hartwig