From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of irox
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 12:58 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 200ton 18meter Live aboard submarine

Hi Jon,

Wil's prototype was 9meter long with a mass of around 20tons.  I do not
know the maximum drive depth he took it to.  Wil, can you enlighten us
please?

Viewport retaining rings.  This is something I want to use, I've not
figured out exactly what/how yet, but I'm sure a solution can be found.
Could you point me to the page/pages in the Stachiw book (which i have
right here) that talk about the retaining ring being a major part of
the viewport's structure.  I'm curious as to what is said about view
ports what are bolted on rather than retained with a ring.

The metal hatch vs metal viewports.  This boat isn't coming out of the
water very often, so Wil is trying to reduce the maintainance required
below the water line.  Avoiding putting metal components below the
water will help.  The hatch will be above the water, so it can easily
be inspected, repaired or replaced as needed.

50cm is the inside diameter.  If I don't pay for the Acrylic to be
shrunk and annealed when I buy it I will assume it hasn't been and
will either hire somebody else to do it or do it myself.

Dive depth.  10meters is a very respectable dive depth for a house
boat.  30meters will no be it's operational depth upon arrival, only
it's tested depth.  Hard to give it an operational depth on arrival
since many things will change as it gets fitted out - but 30 meters
is enough to test most of the systems.  I will think about more depth
testing before the hand over, although depth testing after the vessel
has been fitted out will still have to happen.

Cheers,
 Ian.
(I hope I didn't miss any of your questions.)