Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Children's author needs expert advice

Hello Barbara

My wife Kay is a children's non-fiction writer that knows submarines fairly well.  I'd be happy to put you in touch with her or you can write her at nf4kids@aol.com .
http://www.submarineboat.com/school_visits.htm

A sub that could be moved by hand would have to be a wet sub so scuba would be needed, and that makes it much more complex.

I'll be chastised for saying it here, but a kid could build a sub like Simon Lake's Argonaut Jr. in a barn.
See http://www.simonlake.com/html/argonauts.html
The materials are wood planks, canvas, tar, pig iron, and air tanks from a drug store soda fountain.   He'd just need a mule team to pull it down to the water.

Perhaps all your fictional kid would need to do is visit the library and read a non-fiction book.  ;)

Best of Luck
Doug Jackson
www.submarineboat.com

Have A Nice Day.