Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Children's author needs expert advice

Hi Barabara,

thanks for researching your topic, I know as a small child
stories with believable technical merit where just as exciting,
if not more so, than the pure fantasy stories.

One of the big factors is weight, and moving the submersible
around.  I submersible I believe could be handled by a group
of young children would be something like the BOB (Breather
Observation Bubble), which weights in at round 90lbs and is
probably one of the lightest "submersibles" around:

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/watercraft/sport_submersibles/BOB.html

Other submersibles will rather heavy for somebody (child
or adult) to move alone.

Other issues, where does the child get compressed gas
to operate the submersible, in the case of BOB, this has
to be a human breathable (compressed air from the gas
station will probably be toxic due to exhaust and oil
contamination).

Good Luck!
  Ian.