Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder control

Hi Doug. I had originally planned on using a master/slave set-up for the rudders, and I posted a sketch of it which utilized a scuba tank applying pressure to the hydraulic reservoir tank. This was to keep the system pressurized so water wouldn't enter the system. I thought that by drilling out the orifices on the cylinders it would be possible to move the oil through the system without too much force applied.
    I think with enough tinkering, I could probably make it work. The biggest draw back is the inability to move the control box around and ultimately take it up through the hatch so driving while on top is possible.
    You're right about maneuvering with the side thrusters, and that will make the boat maneuverable in close quarters ( I hope ) but I still have to deal with added through-hulls.
     I had thought about using left/right pedals for the rudder control, and a separate stick for each dive plane with a small valve to hold it in position.
Here's a copy of the old sketch. It's pretty rough, and was just to show the concept.
     Again, it just seemed like it added up to a lot of plumbing, and all the pedals and sticks would need to be hard mounted, making driving the sub while seated inside the only option. With the inside designed as it is, I need to be able to move around to get my face right up to the windows and use a video camera while driving. That's going to be difficult with all the pedals and sticks.
The linear actuators have varying speeds with some moving up to 2 inches per second while others are less than 1/2 inch per second. Naturally, the slower it pushes, the greater the force, due to internal gearing.
That's not nearly as nice as stomping on the pedal for a hard right turn, I know. But again, a small control box and small joysticks with just wires connecting it to the sub that can be positioned anywhere in the cabin is the main reason for going electric.
   Like you say, I can maneuver some with the side thrusters although I'm not sure how deep they will be when I'm floating on the surface. I calculated they would be just under the surface, giving me about 18 inches of free board from the hatch, but only the wet test will actually give me the answer on that. I'll try your link again and get back to you. Frank D.