Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrophones/lasers

Hi David. The Laser thing was just mentioned in passing in the article but I was thinking maybe it was just used to penetrate the gloom a longer distance and made objects visible to the naked eye through the window. Maybe the right color of laser can travel through water farther than just a bright dive light. I think it's the red wave length that is most easily blocked by water, right? Perhaps a green laser beam would be able to cut through the water a bit farther than a full spectrum light. If that was the method, it would be easy to mount a small laser pointer behind a window, shining straight ahead in your direction of travel so you could see an object before you get too close. I will play with that when I get my sub in the water and see what happens. Frank D.