RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Phil Nuytten Has the Underwater Flight Bug

To much fun Phil,  ;)'

I've seen several articles talking about the Aviator being able to roll 360 degrees on it's axis using the ailerons. But I've never seen or heard if it has been done yet. Did they find that that prototype as first configured, shouldn't be inverted?  Have you, your team, or the people in the Sub Aviator Systems group ever intentionally inverted the sub, that you know of?

Last year when I was working on my Batic THUWG ( Trimaran Hydrobatic Underwater Glider) sub design ideas, I thought your basic DeepWorker pressure hull configuration would be a perfect candidate to put in my two person hull wave piercing hull, with one behind the other and a VBT in between. So to see your planning to do just that with the Orca Sub flier, is really cool for me to see.  I decided that for my application I would not use the larger sphere arrangement and use a conical tube section going forward for the legs, since I'll be attaching it to a 30" OD tube section that I will use for the pilot and co-piliot main seating areas, and allow for more gear storage behind the seat then I would have with the DeepWorker hull arrangement.

My configuration is a bit different, for reasons of wanting higher surface egress and higher fast surface running, with two Honda jet ski motors and there corresponding yet modified squire drives. in seal-able pressure hull pods in the rear. These said pods open to the rear when the sub is out of the water, by means of two locking ring hatched to open the rear heads for maintenance. Plus one top hatch each for dealing with the motors when in the water.

In front the motor pods is three more connected hull sections. First the pod for housing batteries and VBT systems, and then the co-pilots pod, and then the pilots pod in front.  Most of the Deka AGM sealed batteries in the third from the front pod are attached to a carriage that can move forward and back, as well as up  and down, by means of Lenco trim tab actuators.  The up and down movement changes my metacentric height so I can be neutral, and more easily roll with my ailerons. Also the said carriage can continue up until I've effectively reversed my metacentric height, making it so I can stay up side down as long as I want with out even having to move. This is also a way that the sub could be flipped back over on it's own if the need every came up. I've also considered using a custom bladder VBT with a external spring system to keep the bladder VBT from sloshing about is used in place and/or together with said batteries, in said carriage.

For a none Honda jet ski motor pods version, of the Batic THUWG I would place the battery and VBT pod between the pilot and co-pilots pods and have a small SS custom pressure hull covered Yamaha outboard motor attached to the rear, with fuel supplied by a fuel bladder in the free floading rear storage locker, which is mostly for extra SCUBA gear and what not.

I needed a drop weight system that could be released when the sub was up right or inverted. So I've been putting together a design assembly that would have two or more lead drop weights in the sides of the pressure hull, or in the inner part of the main wings. These drop weights are basically lead poured into  3 to 6" ID 316 SS tubes and inserted into a larger SS tube that is a part of the wing and is open to the top of the wing as well as the bottom. Much like the front of your Orca Sub vertical thrusters arrangement. to allow easy release at many angles the lead filed SS tubes would have small 1" OD rubber wheels attached to them to ride in the outer SS tube while being released by hydraulic and/or manual means.

I've planning to have a symmetrical wing foil for my main wings, for several reasons, like is used extensively in RC air craft. I'll also be using a canard configuration, but with the main wings being more forward then the EZ canard kit planes, since I'm not going near as fast to keep my nose up when negatively buoyant and gliding down with out using thrusters, as well as when I'm positively buoyant and gliding up with out thrusters.

http://www.ez.org/

Your resident pipe dreamer   ;)'

Regards,

Brent Hartwig