Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 1:42 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Deep Flight Challengers Interior

Ian,

You have a good grasp of what is going on with regards to double O-ring/seals used to seal a metal hatch to a metal hatch land, in my opinion. I don't think it's all that hard to have another O-ring gland cut when they already are set up to cut one, and the O-rings for are applications are pretty affordable, in my opinion. I think replacing both seals at the same time and on a set schedule would be a good plan. Having a way to see if the outer seal has failed might be good, but would likely require a hole in between the seals with a small valve and perhaps add a gage on it, to check to see what is going on. But I figured that since singe seals have a great history of working well, that if the outer seal failed and I didn't have a way to know about it at depth, that the inner one would very likely function properly for the duration of that! dive, and when you got back to the surface, you can see the space between the seals is full of water if you have the seals in the hatch land,  and if your paying attention.

Another issue that has been brought to my attention is the chance for the space between the seals to be compressed enough to perhaps make air leak out of it, past one of the seals. This might make a suction force that might keep the hatch down when you try to open it on the surface. It you had a valve set up, like I just mentioned you could release it that way..  I don't think there would be a problem like this for a number of reasons. One being that there isn't much air there to start with and compress to any real pressure, that would want to pass the seals. If that was a problem, I would simply cut another nicely curved large gland between the seals, so the air that is in between the seals and is being displaced by steel will move into that gland. The highest pressure I would expect i! n that configuration would be less then 20 psi and once the hy! drostati c pressure is removed from the hatch, the pressure while be gone.

There is some that like the seals to keep the metal surfaces from touching and those that like the metal to touch. My K-250 hatch has a O-ring that is to large to let the hatch ring and the hatch lead metal touch under normal diving pressures.  I've worked in commercial, residential, and irrigation plumbing for several years, and have installed and fixed all sorts of plumbing. In my opinion it's really hard to get a seal when going just metal to metal, unless you have one of them mesh into the other like a copper sleeved connection.  I know the R300 goes metal to metal, but I think the O-ring is doing the fine sealing, since you can have a light scratch or grain of sand in between the mating metal surfaces and wa la you have a leak, if you didn't have that O-ring/seal.

Jay, I was not talking about the recent wet exit dome model we have been talking about recently that has a double O-rin! g arrangement.  I did see the metal ring attached the Challengers glass dome, and wouldn't expect a deep diving sub to not have a metal to metal configuration. I was talking about double O-rings/seal hatch sealing arrangements in general.  Whether they use O-rings or Square seals, it is still a double seal configuration for sealing a hatch. If the metal to metal surfaces truly sealed the hatch on there own, why have the rubber seals as well, and two at that?   Perhaps it's for low pressure periods near the surface and/or the sand and scratches type issue.

It looks to me like that entire hatch land face is the same level on the Challenger.

The basic double seal hatch arrangement I was talking about was like this assembly model I made a couple years ago. It could be metal to metal, or not.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=2384531&pid=3954513

Then there is another example ! of a double O-ring used in the hatch of the Great Lakes Sub, w! ith larg e O-rings that keep the metal surfaces apart during normal diving ops.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=4001713&pid=7375620

Your resident pipe dreamer   ;)'

Regards,

Szybowski