Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Submersible Insurance

Like many things in life now-a-days, you gotta have insurance. Lloyd's of London is a certifying agency I think. They have been insuring ships since back in Francis Drake days, so must have a few guys who know a little about subs. The only other certifying agency I've heard of is Japanese, although their name escapes me right now.
I can see where a big outfit is going to require insurance if you work for them. Maybe you're inspecting a submerged telecom cable, and for some reason break the damn thing.......BIG trouble!
Or maybe you're carrying one of their scientists down for a look-see, and he drops dead. Pretty much anything can happen, and just having someone sign a waiver doesn't mean you're off the hook. I'd be curious to see what Stanley requires. I know I signed a waiver when I went on the tourist sub Aquarius, and it was pretty complete as I recall. Frank D.