[PSUBS-MAILIST] Potting Solar Panels‏

Hi SMMOM's, ;)'

 We have touched on this subject before, but since so many things are changing right now in this area, it's interesting to watch and learn what is happening.

I was talking with a local friend of mine that lives off the grid, and has recently installed some new, really efficient 12 volt solar panels. We were discussing if that model of panel he has could be submerged.  We think all we would need to do is pot, or seal with a coating like Sekaflex, the wiring that is coming out of the unit, the rest is already water proof for being out doors.  It might need more sealing then just the wiring, so that would need to be tested.  I know that for many sub applications it might not be a highly practical option right now. But with any new things they have to start some were, and build on that.  My original plans for solar panels where for a trimaran live aboard sub with loads of deck space, and still are.  But I might toy with some smaller units in my K-250 for fun, and learning.

I've been looking at these little tiny solar panels that they are installing in the little yard lights. The panel is completely potted.  I have a couple different ones to test.  With the more efficient solar panels coming out, I could see that we could charge are battery systems when on the surface, or at least power some things internally. Especially when the submarine is sitting at anchor or in the harbors for long periods of time, as we use power then to for all sorts of things, as well as at sea. That combined with a towing kite system, a submersible wind turbine and water turbines when anchored in a current, while on the surface or below, could really be wonderful.

Your sun powered pipe dreamer   ;)'

Regards,

Szybowski