Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dome alternative - flat acrylic endcap

Hi Darek. Like I mentioned before, you might try building a mock-up of your proposed sub so you can sit in it. I started with wire frame and cardboard shapes. After building a few of different shapes, I found that the two-tank-head shape I have now suited my needs and is very economical. Although a single huge window would be nice, several smaller windows placed in the right positions can give you an excellent view.
The interior is surprisingly roomy for such a small space with plenty of room for two to sit side-by-side.
If I was starting over, I would probably increase the window to 30 inches and make it a dome shape, but other than that, it works well for my purposes. At 30 inches, with your head relatively close to the window, you can see pretty much everything. Even at the 20 inches I have now, the two twelves and future sixteens I'll have a wide area of over 180 degrees horizontal and about 120 degrees vertical.
Greg had a good idea that Brent is now working on. He designed a hatch tower made of a plexi tube and he said the test model he made and tried in his pool was really good, giving him a 360 degree view. That only works for one person at a time unless the plexi ring was really big. Still, it would be fairly cheap to make a 48 inch diameter ring about 12 inches tall, and because the shape is uniformly round, much less thick than a 10 inch thick disk. I have considered this as an upgrade to my sub for later.
The mock-ups really give you a good idea of how it feels to sit in the space, and where the windows need to go. Like I said, I built several, and the cost was basically free. Frank D.

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.