RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dome alternative - flat acrylic endcap

Greetings Dariusz,

Some thing you might like to consider, is the basic large front dome arrangement on  Karl Stanley's deep diving sub Idabel, with with a larger dome over your thicker dome or flat viewport for hydrodynamics and perhaps even for your front MBT, like Karl did.  His outer dome is attached with a lot of clips for quick removal when it is on the lift, for cleaning.

I don't know about laminating large slabs of cell cast acrylic. But I've been told that before acrylic parts that make up a submarine part like the K-250 blown dome and it's bonded on flange can be bonded, they should first be annealed. Then once they are cured out, then annealed again to remove stresses put in by the bonding. So what I'm getting at is you will need a large annealing oven if your going to do it yourself.  As for whether your approach is the right one, I'm not in the know, yet.

Perhaps is you don't go near as thick with your laminations you could then have the assembly blown into a 130 degree dome or the like. But the part being laminated might be a issue.

http://www.stanleysubmarines.com/photos/index.php?id=5#

Your resident pipe dreamer   ;)'

Regards,

Szybowski