RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] viewport calculators outputs

Hi Darek,

Interesting software and free!  I'm going to check this out in more detail although too bad they had to throw MS SQL into the mix.  Anyway...

The PSUBS viewport calculator is based upon graph points located in Stachiw's book.  Although I'm sure he used mathematics during his career, it's my understanding that most of the information in his book is based upon years of practical testing of the material.  So it's not surprising to me that his numbers may come out more conservative than using engineering formulas in isolation.  However, because the graphs in his book have printing remnants and artifacts that need to be addressed such as ink thickness and clarity, and the graphs contain a sloping line that does not always intersect a direct xy plot point; in some cases the resulting number has to be interpreted.  All these considerations lead to the PSUBS calculator being somewhat conservative in its output, which is better than the alternative.  When you also consider that the limited availability of acrylic material thickness from retail markets rarely match an intended depth capability perfectly, you more than likely are going to have to "round up" to the next larger thickness anyway.

You have to consider as well, that the physical dimensions of acrylic are not consistent, perhaps even within the same sheet.  For example, the thickness can vary across a large diameter (not a huge amount, but measurably) due to the way the sheets are manufactured.  This means you may have a viewport that meets or exceeds the calculated failure depth, and you may have one or more others that don't.  Hence, implementing safety factors which differentiate between "operating" depth and "failure" depth.  A simplistic example just to get the point across to those who may not understand where we're heading here, are blowing up balloons.  Take a bag of balloons and blow them up until they pop.  Do they all require the exact same amount of air before they burst?  Not likely.  Some balloons will burst sooner than others even though they may appear to all be the same physically.  So how do you assure that you don't burst a significant portion of the balloons such that you ruin the party?  You only fill them up part way by implementing some "safety factor" that you decide is appropriate so they don't pop in your face as you are filling them.

All the failure points you have listed below are catastrophic data points, or the depth where failure is likely assured.  You'll note on the PSUBS calculator that according to Stachiw, the maximum safe operating depth for the viewport size you have specified is 60 meters.  Which brings us to your question "But I wonder which one of these is closest to the truth..."  Without meaning to sound flip, I think the answer is that nobody can answer your question definitively, and by the way, the failure depth is not as interesting as the maximum operating depth which is going to include a safety factor.  In other words, the difference between all the failure depths you have documented appear to be within a safety factor of one (1), which is not very reassuring with all the manufacturing issues related to acrylic viewports.  Given the specs for the viewport you defined, you shouldn't be operating within 60 meters of any of the calculated failure depths and therefore which catastrophic failure point is closest doesn't really matter.

Regarding a drawing for edge support,
1) go to www.psubs.org
2) click on Research Links at the top of the page
3) click on Design & Fabrication
4) click on Design Tools
5) click on "Viewports" at the left menu
6) click on "1-ATM Flat Disc Acrylic"
7) click on "Bearing Ratio"

Or just go to this link

This is a simple drawing of edge support, but does not include the retainer ring which is also required.

I can't provide all the details in an email, so if you don't have Stachiw's book, please purchase one.  It has everything you need to know to fabricate viewports with safety factors that to date have resulted in a perfect safety record.

Jon