RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] electrical question

As far as the motor windings are concerned, a motor can be made to work at any
voltage. You could make a 1 volt 1000 amp or 100 volt 10 amp motor which are
both 1000 watts and perform exactly the same if you wanted. The 1 volt motor
would have maybe 5 turns of hugh wire and the 100 volt motor would have 500
turns of fine wire. There are motors which have 4 coils which can be hooked up
to run at 12, 24 or 48 volts.

The reason why it is better to have a higher voltage motor such as 24v instead
of 12v is because it uses less current. This allows the wiring going to the
motor to be half as big and also any motor controller can be made more cheaply
since the transistors inside it only have to switch half as much current.

A small down side of this is that it may be better to have your batteries wired
in parallel to give you 12v instead of in series to get 24v so that charging is
easier and all the batteries discharge at the same rate.

--
Mailed with XFmail on 03-Mar-2010.
God saved Noah, but Noah had to build an ark!