To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 6:33 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] depth gauges

I think that unless you consistently tempt fate and dive near the operating limits of your sub, even a 5% or 10% accuracy would be acceptable for most "recreational" diving. While accuracy in your gauges is a desirable quality, I think Jim's use of "relative" is appropriate and I don't think I personally would spend hundreds of dollars more to get accuracy better than 1%, which seems to be a "consumer" standard. At 500 feet, a 10% error is going to put you anywhere between 450 and 550 feet. With all the variables that go into building a sub in the first place (welding quality, spherical accuracy, materials), it's probably not a good idea to be diving within 50 feet of your calculated crush depth anyway.

The only problem I have with the circular digital gauges cited thusfar is that they have LCD displays which even if backlit are usually on a short timer. So you'd have to have a small LED or other light source shining on it if you went deep or if your eyes are not quite as good as they were years ago. There's nothing I hate more than continually having to press a small button to light up an LCD so I can see it. I'm still interested in seeing an LED based project started with either a multi-display, or a display you can cycle through, that would provide current depth, rate of descent/ascent, water temp, etc, etc. However, after seeing Cliff's small display in the R-300 with all those functions and more, I have to say that is looking like a good solution as well. And it was certainly easy to see in low-light situations.

Jon