Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder angle indicators

In a message dated 3/12/2010 2:55:59 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, Recon1st@aol.com writes:
Wouldn't just a simple read switch, magnet and a light
on the dash do just fine? When it's on your straight if it's not fix it.
Hi Dean. Ya, that would tell you where straight ahead is, with just one light and two wires. My first thoughts were like that except to have 5 reed switches lighting up 5 LED's to show angle and dive plane rudder position but  Alan is working on a device that takes the two wires and reads a voltage to show how far the rudder or dive plane has moved. It's basically a magnetic activated rheostat or potentiometer.The end of the scale would be full right while the beginning would be full left. The middle would be somewhere in between. I think he's trying to use a "gas gage" type thing to show position. If it can be done with only two wires coming through the hull and show a degree angle on a simple gage,  that would be easy to read how much rudder angle or dive plane angle you've got.
 It started with me finding the new Minnkota and Lenco trim tab actuators with a built-in potentiometer and a 5 position LED indicator at the rocker switch button. The problem there is the cost. $260 each for an actuator and another $80 for the rocker switch and LED graph. Then you still gotta seal up the actuator or oil compensate it. Expensive and complicated.
Vance had a good idea.....just run a solid cable from the linkage to an arrow just outside the window showing what the angle is. No thru-hulls at all !
Alan found these cool little strip things that look like they might work for inside lights or a gage. I'm waiting to see what he comes up with.
Frank D.