Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Desert Star Sport

If Kyle's pinger is the same HBH designs that I used in Spring testing of 2008, there's no comparison. Andy Goldstein brought a "Scout" unit (scaled back sport version) with him to the Maine convention and it easily outperformed the HBH acoustic pinger that I brought. The Desert Star unit is ultrasonic which cut through the salt water without issue, and more importantly it was directional. The HBH/pinger still has a use I think as a last ditch method of drawing attention to oneself underwater, and especially since they can be made for about $15. However, with our Desert Star discount the cost of the ultrasonic units is somewhere around $120 for the scout, which is quite affordable. The only drawback I saw with the Desert Star unit was that it did not use the ABS approved frequency for pingers, 32khz if I remember correctly, and was centered upward in the 40-50khz range. For tracking purposes by a surface boat however, that wouldn't matter.

Jon

David Bartsch wrote:
I am curious as to how the locator pinger on Kyle's #7 measures up against the desert star sport for tracking purposes.