Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Desert Star Sport

Andy,

I'd be interested in any sources for material whether it be through DS or a distributor that they know of. However, since there has been an expressed desire to be compatible with OTS hardware (which I think an argument could be built against), the real question is does DS or their suppliers have 32khz transducers. I believe OTS uses 31.250 and 32.768 for their buddy-phone.

Jon

andy goldstein wrote:
Yea, a basic UQC is not too tough. A good one comparable to a commercial unit....probably harder.

There are other manufactures that probably have cheaper transducers than Reson. Like Airmar or someone. I can ask someone at Desert Star if they want to sell the ceramics or if they want to give up their source. The piezos would have to be potted though, but that isnt hard.

But the OTS and similar units are not that expensive. Plus when it craps out you can usually get it repaired pretty quickly and or get spares. This may not the case with a home built unit.
But, a home built would be more fun.

-a