Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder angle indicators

In a message dated 3/15/2010 8:40:08 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Stew@terminalsolutions.biz writes:
Ill do a quick drawing if this sparks anyones intrest :)
Hi Stew. Definitely interested. Although I like Vance's idea of a mechanical indicator, some LED's would be pretty cool as long as it's simple and reliable. The reed switches discussed are sealed in glass and are so tiny that they probably don't need much additional sealing. The problem is the number of wires that are needed, and the "black hole" when you're between contacts.
I was originally thinking about 5 LED's per device. One for center, and two on each end. That would entail at least 6 wires. Although they are quite small, a complicated thru-hull would be required. There are some 6 wire off-the-shelf penetrators  that would work. That still leaves the "black hole" problem. Alan's disk/strip device would have a linear read out on a gage, no black hole. Or if tied into Jen's circuit, it would light up and be seen in a dark sub at depth.
Frank D.