RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder angle indicators

Stewart

Interesting approach, Stewart - and I would love to see your proposal in a
drawing.

Although I have used it in other applications, No... I did not consider to
use it in this here application as I (initially) just wanted to give Alan
a tip on how he could monitor the movements of his pot-meter.

Having said that, your idea would need two photo transistors and two photo
diodes (with one pair slightly out of phase in relation to the other) so
the counter would know which way to count depending on the direction of
rotation.

Now, if the wheel (let say) were slotted for every 8 degree of angle, and
the output from the binary counter was always shifted left one position,
then we would always have available the correct rudder angle in degrees
(although in this case, with the coarse resolution of 8 degrees per slot).

Or would you rather use a decade counter? Please advice.

Best regards,
Jens Laland