Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Desert Star Sport

Jens,

I can't speak to that. We'll need to hear from Al, Lea, or someone else more versed in electronics then I. I was under assumption of the opposite and that "resonant frequency" meant exactly what it implied, regardless of transmit or receive. Like other similar electronics, the efficiency of the unit varies as frequency changes (you can see this in the Reson specifications) so I suppose it's possible that a 63khz unit could work at half the frequency. The question would be how effective it is at half the resonance. It sounds like you are describing a comparison of using a half-wave or quarter-wave antenna for a radio transceiver which of course works, but I don't know if that concept translates to a change of frequency for a given element resonance.

Jon

Jens Laland wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have been told that a transducer should
always be operated (at least in listening mode) below it's resonance
frequency.

** the real question is does DS or their suppliers have 32khz transducers

If what I'm told is still valid, then a transducer having it's resonance
frequency at, let say 63 kHz, should be excellent for communication at
around 32 kHz...

and that is why I recently bought a couple of these piezoelectric ceramic
cylinders, ref

http://www.steminc.com/piezo/SMC26H25T175W62K.asp

Best regards,
Jens laland