From: Jens Laland <laland@artematrix.org>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Fri, Mar 26, 2010 8:32 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

Vance

Thanks for your feedback, and I really appreciated your points of view.

** I don't think the spaced readouts would do much for you
** if they are either on or off.

This circuit will always have one of the 5 LEDs lit, as the magnet will
always be over one or two reed relays at any moment in time (hence the
short spacing between the reeds).

However, it could very well be that I misunderstand your point here. If
so, please clarify.

** Live steering (movable thrusters without control surfaces)
** are even more critical than a rudder.

Now this is very interesting, as I am considering (dreaming of) having one
large steerable Kort-nozzle (using a constant-velocity joint) in my small
diesel-electric psub design. I believe this would provide a much improved
maneuverability (up/down & sideways), even at very slow speed.

Therefore, my own idea of a visual control and feedback instrument for the
steerable Kort-nozzle will be based on a rebuilt (vintage) aviation
instrument(Zero Reader), ref

http://traktoria.org/sub/zero_reader_indicator1.jpg

For the control system itself, I will most likely use some homemade
inductive sensors (easier to pressure proof than potentiometers). And I
will use a simple 4-20mA current loop (one twisted pair) to feed the
analog signal to the said instrument in real time.

I am curious to know if such a scheme would be in accordance with what you
consider to be practical in real operation of a craft.

Best regards,
Jens Laland