Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

Hi Vance. There's a whole bunch of people making actuators but I chose this particular brand because of the "sleek" design of having everything contained within the extruded aluminum seamless body. ( and the fact that they're dirt cheap ) Most of the other electric actuators have the motor outside the body which would make it more difficult to encase or seal up. Anyway, these units are made by "Firgelli Automations" in the UK I think but I ordered them for $129 each and they came from some distributor in the USA.
They make MANY different types and strengths so take a look.
As for sealing, well, none of the ones I've seen are made for submerged service but there's a lot of difference in how each manufacturer handles this, and several come with built-in position sensors but you're gonna pay for that option and I'm not sure how many wires it takes to get all that info inside the sub.

I also got a 12 inch stroke one for moving my sliding ballast weight. It's rated at 150 pounds but is much slower. For the rudders I'll be using a much stronger one but with a shorter stroke so by using linkage the slower speed won't be a problem. The 4 inch stroke from full left to full right will take about 8 seconds which is a long time but I haven't ordered that actuator yet so maybe I can get the stroke time down a little more.
Frank D.