Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 5:34 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

In a message dated 3/27/2010 1:52:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, vbra676539@aol.com writes:
How will you seal one to the other?
Hi Vance. I'll try using clear vinyl tubing and hose barbs to connect the oil lines between the bladder and components needing pressure compensation. The rubber CV boot can have a small air bubble at the top if there's a few small ones that work their way through the system. That's what the fill/bleed valve is for. There shouldn't be any pressure differential in the system as the flexible bellows will expand and retract as needed.
For sealing I'm using the same stuff as the electrical wires. Brass hose barb fittings threaded into the components and thru-hulls, vinyl tubing and hose clamps, then all the connections get covered with a coating of Vulchem. It's a liquid form of polyurethane that can be painted on. It looks like that "plasti-dip" stuff for dipping tool handles in, except it sticks better.
  Alan..... I was just looking at the pictures you put up with the wooden scale model of the actuator filled with water. It looks like it's sealed up with no where for the water to go so the bellows doesn't expand or collapse, but just deforms.  I think the IV bag idea might work but not sure how tough it would be, or resistant to sunlight and abrasion. Frank D.