Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-600 Reconditioning

Slowly but surely...

Today I removed the fore and aft ballast tanks and it was much easier than I anticipated. The forward tank was sealed at the pressure vessel by gobs of caulking. Thankfully Kittredge used a silicone based caulk which was still pliable and I was able to break the seal pretty easily and remove the ballast tank. Once the tank was off I was able to remove remaining caulk on both the tank head and ballast tank with a cold-chisel.

The aft ballast tank was sealed using a rubber strip about .1875 thick and 1.75 inches wide, nearly identical to what you would find today at your local hardware store for sealing air infiltration at doors and windows in your house. The aft ballast tank came off very easy and required no cleaning because no caulking was used.

Photos for today are posted at http://www.psubs.org/projects/1234567801/k-600ballasttanks/

Jon