Re: Wztching for surface traffic (was: Submarine Movie? or TV?)

John Brownlee wrote:

> [big momma snip]
>         Probably cheaper to bribe a friend with gas/food/beer/greenbacks to
> stand watch and shoo away the ooglers. Interesting problem, though. Brings
> back memories from my geophysics days.

As Vance says, and you point out obliquely, it may be better just to listen for boat engines before
surfacing.

I remember vacationing in Wildwood, NJ back in the '60's.  There was this pink PT boat being used
for tours (my parents NEVER took me on that thing - I've suffered trauma ever since).  In between
getting your head smashed from the ice cold combers you could hear the engines u/w from over a mile
away.

It's a safe bet that your ears are a useful tool for surfacing.  Wetware, however, still needs to be
used appropriately if it doesn't want to be replaced by software.

(please note, boys and girls, that a 36ft. catamaran flying at 25kts. will not be heard until the
sub's dome/canopy is destroyed - with your head in it.  So, ultimately, we still need an imaging
system of some sort, be it periscope or camera.)

Rick

--
????กำ?