Re: Typhoon

Michael B Holt wrote:

> >The beauty of the Typhoon is that the deck and bilges are straight
> >panels; no twisting, torturing,
> >cold molding, steam bending, etc.
> > The stern is a wedge shape: very simple. [snip]

> I'm looking at the Revell model of the Typhoon (it sits over my
> computer).
> There's nothing at all complex about it, as you say.   Only the bow would
> be an irritation, but not a challenge.

You too, huh?  I skewered my Typhoon  model to insert a diver so I could work out the scaling.

> [snip]

> In general, CAD is a pain in the butt to learn.   I find Chine Hull
> Designer
> to be fairly simple and comprehensive (go to <www.carlsondesign.com>).

Thanks - will check it out.  HEY!!! A thought just occurred to me: somewhere on the NO-Nags freeware
page, there's a comprehensive app. that will - are you all ready for this - create line drawings
from an object in a photograph!

Implication: take several pics of, say a Biber, and it will create line drawings for you.  Not bad,
hmmmm?

> >Eventually I realized that some sci-fi
> >illustrator or Russian designer had already accomplished what I was
> >struggling with: a hydrodynamic shape that was easy to build.
>
> Sci-fi illustrator?   I'm still pointing out to some folk that the
> Seaview
> was designed by a car stylist.

The Seaview was no so good!  Sure looked nice, tho'.

In the quest for the Holy Grail of sci-fi design-cool, many space craft are designed specifically as
cover art for paperbacks.
There is a wealth of drama there for the pickin's.

When, after wiping off my drool from his Exosuit mockup, I asked Phil whether he was a sci-fi fan
(it was begging the question) he looked at me kinda strange and replied that, of course, he was.  As
if being a sci-fi addict was a prerequisite for cool sub design - which of course it is.   ;-)
Think I'm kidding?  Star Trek and Star Wars has motivated more than one NASA engineer and astronaut.

> [snip]

> >I could literally develop it on napkins if I had to.
>
> When you get drawings done, I'd like to see them.

10-4

Rick
--
????กำ?