to bail, or not to bail, that is the question.

Ray Keefer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Most 1atm psubs should have a method for flooding the interior so the
> > hatch can be opened for escape but I would see this being used as an
> > absolute last chance method for bailout.  You probably wouldn't get
>
> Good safety feature. There are some contraints in using it though.
>
> 1. If you are not on the bottom you will soon head that way because
>    flooding your hull will make you heavier. Can you flood fast enough
>    to bail out in time before you go below crush depth or too low to
>    breath compressed air?
> 2. If you are on the bottom, are you too deep?
>
> > bent since your time breathing compressed gas at depth would be
> > minimal (hopefully!).  Depends on several factors. I would rather be
> > bent than drowned anyday though!  I'm planning on keeping a 30 cu ft
> > pony bottle and regulator in my sub for bailout if necessary.
> >

> Good safety feature. Again keep in mind it won't work if you are too deep.
>
> Regards,
> Ray

Yes, but... how can I say this...
For one thing I won't dive my sub in water that is deeper than it's max. safe
rating, that does away with the crush problem. I can't imagine why anyone
would want to... lets say take down a 100' rated sub in 300 feet of water as
there is not much of anything to look at in mid water.   Anybody doing that
might as well "stick a fork in both eyes now!"  I can't imagine how you could
get stuck in mid water anyway. Has that ever happened to a sub?
I figure a chance to bail out and risk getting bent is better than no hope at
all.

Jonathan Shawl