Re: crude childhood submersible death-trap fun

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:16:33 -0500 David Buchner writes:
>What does this have to do with personal submersibles? I'm not sure,
except
>maybe just random recollections about the roots of crazy tinkering and
>inventing and having people at the hardware store ask, "What are you
going
>to use it for?" And parents naively ask, "You boys aren't doing anything
>dangerous, are you?" And how it's much easier for a person of my...
>generation or whatever... to imagine and talk about doing something than
>actually spend money and work out problems and actually assemble it.
>Possibly safer that way, too.

I keep hoping that some of the old ideas will still be useful.    Looking
back on what I did Back Then, most of what I was considering was
NOT ill-advised, but it WAS beyond my financial and mechanical
skills.

My self-propelled diving bell would still work well in still and shallow
waters.    Anyone want to talk about this?

I'd really be happy if my son (or daughter) would express interest in
imaginative shade-tree engineering.

How old are we, here?    Anyone want to collect ages/birthdates and
report?   (I will, if no one else wants to.)    I'd be willing to bet
that
this group is much more similar than it is different.

Mike Holt