Screw vs the Box

Dick Morrison,  I'm happy you liked my idea of the four "tails" in a box.
Now if you're serious, and I think you are. Here was my idea for a portable
wet sub for two.  And don't laugh at me.  OK?

I take three old girl's bicycles from a junk store.  I use my dad's carbon
saw and cut up the three bikes as follows.  Imagine a bicycle built for two
(tandom) with very narrow handle bars for each rider and the back bar also
works.  The seats are angled down in front and you weld two expanded metal
(screens) at the frame near the bottom of the seat and slope it up a foot
high near the handle bars so you both lie forward on a semi-upright angle so
your neck isn't bent up to see forward.  All that is on the bottom is a
metal or plastic skid like one sled runner that is 8 feet long and turned up
in front.  Over your heads is like a front to rear rollbar is a big diameter
PVC pipe that is about 3 feet over the level of the seats and is about four
feet long with PVC angles at both ends with about 1 foot on each end with
PVC caps on both ends.  The front two chain drives connect in the back to
the third chain drive that has the pedals removed and two big stainless
bolts and washers screwed into them about 2 inches long.  The rear chain
drive (sprocket) is bigger than the little sprocket attached to the rear
drive sprocket. (two chains).  Then you have copper water pipes cut into
four 8 inch pieces and solder them into a square using 90 degree pieces and
mount them with stainless "U" bolts with four 2" X 2" redwood railing wood
about 3 feet long.  The four pieces of railing wood are attached to the rear
bicycle frame to the best pieces of steel tubing that presents itself for
strength and leverage.  You could use for pieces or copper pipe or PVC
instead of redwood.  On the four 8 inch copper sides you take four pieces of
two by four wood about a foot long and bolt two electrical conduit clamps
around the copper sides and on to the ends of the 2 X 4 wood pieces like a
loose hinged little door.  You then put two very long eyebolts through the 2
X 4 pieces of wood close to where it meets the copper pipes.  The four 2 X
4's are pointed backwards with eyebolts bolted high on each side.  The
driven sprocket still has the crank without the pedals and a bolt head and a
big washer on each crank.  You then get plastic covered cables (8 of them)
and 8 turn buckles and cable clamps and connect the cables to each (8)
eyebolt eyes on the 2 X 4's to the big bolts in the driven pedal crank
bolts.  You adjust the 2 X 4's to be straight back when the cranks are
straight up and down.  So you then adjust the cables with the turn buckles
so everything is very tight (like me).  You then taper the four 2X 4's at
the ends and fit four big diver's fins on the 2 x 4's and strap them on
tightly.  Take two pieces of white formica and cut them like a rudder and
bolt the two pieces of formica to the front fork and then contact cement
them together at the front, bottom and read and you have a streamlined front
rudder.  As you pedal the "Sub Cycle" the crank arms go forward and the
other one to the rear.  The cables pull one set of swim fins together as the
other opposed swim fins are going outward for a continuous feel of power and
you could also have the two drive cranks at 90 degrees so each person is
always going to be on a power stroke with their legs.  The PVC "Roll Bar" is
fitted with the over center pop valve like on my water heater and that lets
air out of the big PVC pipe over our heads so you can dive.  The PVC pipe is
big enough to keep up both at snorkle levels until we see a another great
antique stove and go to your regulator and let air out and slowly dive.
My dad can drill and tap a fittng in the PVC for one of those boat drain
plugs with the rubber "one way" flat black rubber valves for the water to
blow out of to surface with a few shots of scuba tank air.  There is nothing
in front of us as we lay forward on the expanded metal body supports.  If I
want a reverse, I'll have to use pulley and such with a belts using an old
car's water pump for the bearings and a auto flex fan blade with a fan belt
pulley to drive it.  I think if we want to stop, we just quit pedaling and
sort of sit up and create drag.  We would just wear our scuba gear when
diving and go on the surface using the snorkles to save air.  We'll use a
bike "whippy flag" with the diver's down flag and have fun!  I know, I sound
stupid?  I'm not a blond and redheads are not "DUM!"
Bye, Ginger