[PSUBS-MAILIST] G.L. Submersible Classification

Phil Nuytten phil at philnuytten.com
Mon Nov 18 23:42:20 EST 2013

All:
Nuytco has had experience classing with most of the majors – Lloyds Register, Germanischer Lloyds, American Bureau of Shipping,  Det Norske Veritas (now combined with GL) and Cayman Islands register of Shipping. All of these classifying agencies use as their reference “Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy – section 8”, commonly referred to as ‘PVHO8’. Several of these agencies have additional requirements but in the main they stick to PVHO8. The choice of who you go with is usually governed by: basic prices for initial ‘Plan Approval’ and hourly rates for witnessing tests, materials, etc., the proximity of the surveyors to your place of build (since you have to cover all costs of the surveyor if they are not in your area) and finally, the location of the office who will make the final decision relative to your subs classification  -relative to where their local representatives offices are located. The good news is that almost all of these agencies accept each others witnessing and certs.
Be prepared, though, it is expensive to class – particularly if you are only building one sub. In the case of a manufacturer like Nuytco, we can spread our costs over a number of subs by getting ‘type approval’ so much of the initial stuff does not have to redone with each sub, as long as you don’t change the design.
Phil