[PSUBS-MAILIST] Manipulators

Jon Wallace jonw at psubs.org
Fri Feb 7 07:46:02 EST 2014

Brian, any cheap Black & Decker cordless screwdriver is reversible by
polarity and fit nicely into 1.5 inch PVC pipe.  See attached photos...a
few years ago I fabricated an "ROV" motor with a 3.6v B&D model 9078.
They are easy to take apart to get the "guts" out.  I sealed the chuck
shaft with a home-made blue globe using some copper pipe and o-rings,
then used epoxy to permanently attach a SS threaded rod into the chuck
so I could screw on the propeller.  At the time I was thinking the PVC
would suffice as a 1-ATM housing but it would definitely be better oil
compensated.

It looks to me like all the cheap cordless screwdrivers are manufactured
at one location and branded accordingly.  The B&D's seem to be a bit
higher priced probably due to name recognition.  EBAY carries these
things from other manufacturers at very inexpensive pricing ($15 US range).

Jon