[PSUBS-MAILIST] Non developable surfaces

Marc de Piolenc piolenc at archivale.com
Sat Feb 15 21:16:00 EST 2014

Amateur airplane builders often "roll their own," if they're making a
"one of" design or if they can't afford to buy a canopy from a kit
supplier or a parts-and-materials house like Aircraft Spruce.

And you'd be surprised at the primitive nature of a lot of "industrial"
production, as aircraft production runs are often too small to justify a
large investment in permanent tooling. And of course the big
manufacturers' prototype shops routinely use the same methods as amateur
builders, as their production runs are typically one to five units.

If you want to amuse yourself, there are videos on YouTube about the
beginnings of Bell's helicopter division under Arthur Young... but he
only refers briefly to the Model 47 "bubble."

The simplest molding method for thermoplastics is so-called drape
molding, where a "minus-t" male plug is made and placed under the
plastic blank, and the plastic sheet gradually heated until it sags onto
the plug, at which point the temperature is GRADUALLY reduced. Obviously
this only works with shapes that allow the plug to be withdrawn after
molding (though you can sometimes cheat by making the plug so it can be
disassembled and withdrawn in parts). If you're willing to have a
slightly less-than-perfect contour, the male plug can be an eggcrate
structure instead of a solid plug. There will be ripples in the finished
product of course, but in your application, with water on both sides of
the MBT shell in the submerged condition and a close match of refractive
indices between the acrylic and water, that might not be a problem.
Here, besides the plug, the only equipment required is an insulated
plywood box and an air heater.

A more complicated process is vacuum molding, which is popular for small
parts but gets awkward in the larger sizes because the size of the
required vacuum reservoir grows with the part size.

After that comes blowing, and that's something that some amateur
builders have managed that I for one would rather not try. But I suspect
that your application can made do with drape molding.

Best,
Marc