[PSUBS-MAILIST] Non developable surfaces

Alan alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 15 22:39:27 EST 2014

Hi Joe,
I'm not quite following you, but here are some suggestions.
you can cut out an oval section from a sheet of ply wood or similar & use it as
the template to blow the acrylic. Or blow it in to a female form. However
contouring it to the sub shape & having it bubble out from there seems difficult.
   The only way I could imagine you doing it would be to tip your sub on it's side,
heat the acrylic sheet & drape it over the sub. Then trim it to shape & weld brackets
to the sub to clamp it & a female mold on. Then heat the acrylic & quickly bolt it &
the mold to the submarine. You could blow compressed air in to it through a through hull.
Experimenting with a scale model would help.
Hope that makes sense. Of course Greg is our resident expert.