[PSUBS-MAILIST] Dismal Wheel Failure

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jul 28 09:58:15 EDT 2014

No-tech works best sometimes. In the old days, Vicker's Oceanics operated Pisces boats, which have big aluminum skids. The subs lived in a shipboard hanger between dives and were physically dragged in and out to the A-frame launch area using wire rope and a winch. The skids ran in deck welded channel, well greased, and they slid right along with no problem, even though they weighed 10-12 tons (depending on the sub). Agricultural as all get out, but it was cheap and simple and worked a treat, more or less.
Vance