[PSUBS-MAILIST] Conning tower hatch O-Ring

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Oct 20 03:41:20 EDT 2014

On the R300, I use a standard sized O-ring with specified dash number with o-ring grove designed based on PArker free software to match the o-ring.  I  installed this on the lower hatch face. While this o-ring has provided a watertight seal, I find that sometimes the o-ring can become dislodged.    Based on lessons learned,  going forward, my new boat is designed with a 1/2 dove tail grove on the upper hatch exactly as Alan has described, i.e., external pressure force ring into flat side.   Going to the 1/2 dove tail grove should keep the o-ring from popping out of the grove while not impacting its ability to seal . Putting in the o-ring in the upper hatch face will keep garbage out of the grove.

While you can make up o-ring to any size by cutting and gluing, I know of one case in another boat in which this caused a small leak because they got the length wrong and were not precise enough on aligning the ends when adhesive.  To me it is better to use the Parker  software which is on online, and pick a standard dash number and design the grove to match this o-ring.  O-rings are cheap and this tends to remove the two issues that caused this leak,

Cliff