[PSUBS-MAILIST] Conning tower hatch O-Ring

Mon Oct 20 09:53:01 EDT 2014

With regard to O-ring sizing, be aware that an O-ring / groove pair is typically designed for a specific limited amount of compression in service, such that the O-ring meets its design fatigue life and tolerance to compression set. Using an O-ring which is larger in cross-section so that it doesn't fall out of an ordinary rectangular groove may, in service, deform the O-ring beyond its elastic deformation limit. So-called "crush" installations are perfectly valid, and are used often in static seals, but any increased compression set as a result of such a design must be accommodated by more stringent maintenance and O-ring changes.

The Parker O-ring Handbook is an excellent design resource, and includes information about typical O-ring failure modes.

Sean