[PSUBS-MAILIST] Over Pressure Valve

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jun 19 15:58:08 EDT 2015

John, I hadn't given much thought lately  to how the Big Boys handle it.
I've planned to have a small, onboard  compressor, but its purpose is to
create under-pressure to seal the domes prior  to diving.  It's not large enough
to charge the tanks.  I'm depending  on a portable compressor dockside or
on the support boat for that.  A  snorkel would be nice even if it extends
just two feet above the hatch or  dome.  Looking forward to the update on your
65-footer at the  convention.

Hank, that's definitely a sweet setup you have on Gamma.   The compressor
recharged the tanks much more quickly than I expected.  I  don't recall how
low you let them get before recharging.  I don't expect to  have room
onboard, and the heat generated would be something of a negative in  semitropical
conditions.

I wish I knew what the pressure differential was that Captain  K.
experienced.  Apparently it was small enough that he wasn't aware of it  and yet
significant enough to convert his coming tower into a personnel launch  tube.
If the air pressure inside your sub rose to 20 psi or  about 1.33 atm, you
would reach equal pressure when you got within 11 feet of  the surface.  Any
depth greater than that and the outside pressure would  still be greater than
the inside pressure (no OP).  The point being that  you would have to have
a lot of excess interior pressure to experience OP at a  significant depth.
Wouldn't your ears tell you if you got as high as 20  psi?  Monitoring and
alarm systems are a must.

Jim

Personally I think an onboard compressor is a much safer option than an
over pressure valve.  There are multiple safety benefits to an onboard
compressor, over pressure being the biggy.  With a compressor you can get  rid of
the pressure without surfacing and trying to control a perfect  ascent.
With the OPV you have to surface a bit and let air out and wait  then surface
more and wait and so on. You can't just surface and hope the valve  keeps up
with the demand. This is more important for subs with large  domes.
The next benefit to a compressor is, if you lost all your air, you  surface
by dropping your weight.  In my case the weight is small and I  would also
drop the thruster and tail assembly.  Still, not much sub out of  the water.
 With the compressor, I can open my vent valve in the hatch and  use the
compressor to fill the ballast  tanks.
Personal_Submersibles  mailing  list
Personal_Submersibles at psubs.org

In a message dated 6/19/2015 12:35:49 P.M. Central Daylight Time,