[PSUBS-MAILIST] acoustic pinger frequency choice

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jun 1 19:15:55 EDT 2016

What about this Antoine,http://desertstar.com/product/divetracker-sport/Depth rating is 1000ftRange is up to 4000ft   Most depth sounders can shoot through the hull if the hull is fiberglass. I don't think it can shoot through acrylic. With depth sounders about 1/2" isthe maximum hull thickness, but pingers may work with a thicker fiberglass section.I had thought of the idea of having a miniature view port about an inch in diameter with a 1/2" thick plug of fiberglass in it. You could thenhave your transmitting / receiving equipment inside the sub shooting through thatfiberglass port. Otherwise mount it external. One problem I can see is battery range,so you would possibly need a through hull cable supplying power to the unit.Cheers Alan