[PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn-Kota Shaft Seals

Mon Apr 10 22:54:44 EDT 2017

6-8 mm is plenty, provided you can accurately locate the center between them. A channel for oil / pressure communication doesn't need to be more than 1/8".  The "ultimate" implementation I described in a previous message would still be my no holds barred solution, but it occurred to me that you could approximate the same behaviour without the second compensator by simply using an in-line check valve with a known cracking pressure. If there is enough meat in the housing to accommodate e.g. a 1/8 NPT Swagelok fitting to provide a connection to that inter-seal space, then you could pipe the air compensation to the main motor housing at ambient pressure + a bias pressure as previously discussed. If, however, that bias pressure is equal to the cracking pressure of the check valve, then you could also tee off that supply line, through the check valve, into the inter-seal volume. This would compensate it at approximately ambient pressure without requiring a separate unbiased compensation
source in addition to the biased one. Any accumulated overpressure would just blow past the seal lip.

Sean