[PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn-Kota Shaft Seals

james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Apr 11 09:08:04 EDT 2017

I like Alec's suggestion to drill a hole in the seal. In fact why don't we drill TWO holes. That way we could inject grease in one till it comes out of the other.
Notice in this drawing http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0191/7628/files/2002_AC_-_freshwater_motors_-_transom_-_specialtytransom_-_classic_28.pdf?793
That the outer seal is labeled "seal with shield".  I have not called Minn-Kota but assume that the purpose of this "shield" is to protect against fishing line wrapped around the shaft, ruining the seal and letting water in.
As far as internal pressure is concerned, the set up I described using a scuba second stage would have almost none. If internal pressure is kept low then the seals can be left the way they are and forget about it.
Greg C
      From: Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 4:24 PM
 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn-Kota Shaft Seals

What if we just drill a little hole in the outer seal, and leave it in place?
Best,
Alec
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

Jon,
just be careful you don't damage the seal seat ( bore) or future
seals may leak.
You could try threading an over sized bolt in to it & pulling on the
bolt with a hammer. Maybe hit the bolt in to get it started.
You could also heat the housing around the bore first.
There is a plethora of tools if you google on image search; but
these are on the small size.
 I have said before that there is a use to the outer seal as a "dust
cover" function to keep muck away from the more important inner seal.
A cheap protective seal that is easy to replace!