[PSUBS-MAILIST] vertical thruster orientation

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 9 22:16:29 EDT 2018

Jon,
some thoughts.
In reverse there is no thrust bearing to take the axial load,
just a circlip against a washer, against the face of a bush. So you would get
less thrust in reverse because of this. I am not sure whether the prop is as
efficient in reverse as it is forward.
It makes sense to orient it so that reverse is used least. However unless you
are going to be positively buoyant you would be using it the same amount
in both directions.
Orientation might be dictated by where you can mount it, as it would be a
foot higher or lower depending on the rotation. Do you want to keep it slightly
further away from the bottom to avoid stirring sediment or entanglement,
or further under the water so you can thrust down sooner when descending.
Am also interested in what peoples preferences are here.
Thanks for the Nuytco post. Wonder how big that tank is. It must be small
enough to be transported.
Alan