RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Joysticks

Hi all.

I'm new to control systems but here is what I've learned so far (please
correct me if I am mistaken on any point).

I looked at some of the joysticks that are out there for industrial
applications (electrohydraulic).  They are expensive.  From what I
gather you buy the joystick, connect the joysticks to a proprietary
controller which then translates the joystick actions to signals for
manipulating the hydraulics.

I'm working on an all electric control system (fly-by-wire) that uses a
standard pc joystick, laptop(already planned as part of sub) and a usb
or serial connection to a controller for the hydraulics.  So far I'm
using the Saitek X36 controller which provides a joystick and throttle
controls.  I get a lot more functionality that I can program in a
familar environment.  Please note, I 'm also researching secondary
controls in case the fly-by-wire fails and would like to be pointed in
the right direction for building cable based hydraulic controls.

A few questions:
Has anyone else done this before?
Is there a reason not to?
Is there an easier way?
Would anyone like to colloborate on a flight control system?  I'm
planning 3 "flight modes" -- surface, subsurface flight, subsurface
hover.

--Atul