From: Akins
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Life Support (O2)

Hi Rick.

My question is.....
You said the only sources of humidity in your boat will be from your body perspiration and your latte cup.
Your boat is an ambient sub, so that means it is always open to the water with air pressure keeping the liquid water out.
Even though the air pressure keeps out the water liquid, wouldn't the water vapour molecules still enter the boat
and condense back into droplets obscuring your canopy? Wouldn't that mean that there is just about no way
you can stop moisture from entering your boat because of its very design as an open to the water ambient sub?

A suggestion of mine.....
Since it appears to me that there is no way someone could keep water vapour out of an ambient sub because of it
always being open to the water, then why not use water to keep the canopy clear? Here's what I mean....
We have all taken a garden hose to our car windows on mornings when they were all covered with water dew and
washed them off so we could see. Why not do something like that in an ambient sub? Like this....have a channel
around the bottom of your acrylic canopy that catches the water and then a small fish aquarium pump that would
pump the water from the channel back up thru small hoses that would squirt a fine spray onto the upper area of
your canopy just enough so the water would collect and run down keeping the view clear but without water dropping
vertically straight down. In other words the water would flow down the inside of the curved canopy without falling
off it vertically onto the floor. You could run this constantly and just look thru a thin even film of water running down
your canopy, or you could wait until the canopy was getting fogged up and then pop the switch for a few seconds to
run the water and clean the canopy off.  Kind of like a very thin controlled water fall over your canopy's inside surface.
This would keep the water droplets from forming and obscuring your view by rinsing them off either constantly or intermittently.
I also wonder if it would help this type of system to polish the inside canopy with wax, or it that would make the water
release easier from the canopy's inside curved surface and drop to the floor.
Does this sound easier than a towel and defog or is this a crazy idea?

Bill Akins.