Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] the half pipe returns!

How would the motors work on the bottom for turning or should they be center like the drive motors. I think I hear you saying that you think that my main ballast tanks are too large? I figured I would separating them into four separate chambers. same for the trim tanks. The design as a whole its much like nemo. does anyone have any plans available on that sub. The original plans where for a drive sub. It seemed like a good idea to make the sub function in any direction with large viewing areas from what some seem to have said that using mini kota motors provide vast amounts of thrust. I was wondering if the standard trolling motor can be run in reverse by simply changing polarity? The main pressure hull will be about a four foot diameter and about a six foot length. The whole idea is too share the experience so its a two man sub. Does anyone have any idea how much acrylic domes cost to have made and where to find any diagrams of construction and mounting of dome view ports?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay K. Jeffries <bottomgun@mindspring.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:06 am
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] the half pipe returns!

You might consider placing your motors lower on the body.  The drive motors should be on the horizontal plane of your cross sectional center of pressure (CP) and aligned with respect to the center of grav ity/buoyancy so that your sub does not pitch while under power.  The motors on the top of the sub should be lower so that they are in the water on the surface and thus effective for making turns.

Don’t have the book handy to pull out as reference, but your VBTs are probably excessive in size.  While Ray’s comments concerning free surface effects of a partially flooded VBT are correct, baffle plates will not help much with an excessive angle with long, thin VBTs.  You will be either pitched up or down and having venting issues.
R/Jay