RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sailing Loggerhead at 20 Knots

Hello Shin,

Your one of the few PSUBer's I've been made aware of, that have acknowledged that they have a reasonable grasp of what this technology could do for use.

I also wanted to install a large computer controlled towing kite system sorta like the German company at www.skysails.com is now producing. This would make running the boat much cheaper then always having to use the diesel for surface travel. But I was also looking for a simpler configuration for smaller subs and for reasons of cost and availability.

The below quotes are from Skysails.

"Question: Can you already tell how much fuel you have been able to save so far?"

"Stephan Wrage: The savings potential attainable by the use of the SkySails has already been confirmed on our test vessel "Beaufort". Under optimal wind conditions, a SkySails-System can thus temporarily substitute over 50% of the main engine power – with corresponding savings."

Also the small Hawaiian company I've been watching now has boat kite sail system you can now purchase pretty reasonably. But there turret system has draw and entanglement issues when submerged if used on a sub. Do I would need to have it retract horizontally into the conning tower for submerged travel or come up with another system like is used in the below clips.

http://www.kiteforsail.com/

I think I might have a manual and/or power assist towing kite configuration that I can install on my K-250, that would work basically like the one in the clips below. The only worry is that one of those military planes that pick up people and/or gear with that special nose gear designed to grab the kites, will see my kite and take me and my whole sub air born. How would that be for being yanked out of a wet dream. ;)'

I better make the whole thing release for dealing with, and if it gets entangled.

Your resident wind  blown  dreamer   ;)'

Regards,

Szybowski