RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sailing Loggerhead at 20 Knots

  That's quite a claim they make there for deck space used, I suspect that those figures only represent the footprint of the equipment.  Taking KiteForSail's claims at face value, I can see how one would think about making a wind powered K-250, but consider the purpose behind using wind power.

  If the use of wind power is to save fuel/money, then compare how far you expect to drive yer K-250 before it dives, keeping in mind how small a K-250 really is and how long you think you could keep yerself crammed into one(travel to, dive, travel back).  Then estimate the price of a small outboard and the fuel used for said miles.  Then compare that dollar figure with the price of this brand new technology.  I'm betting that the kite won't save money unless used on a submarine that travels under it's own power alot.

  Cult sized, I mean, K-250 sized submersibles often have surface support vessels that can tow the psub with minimal additional cost.

  Upgrade from the K-250 submersible to a multi-passenger diesel powered submarine like Peter's earlier works, and you might save money depending on how you planned to use the submarine.  For myself, I would be at full throttle to get from work to the dive site before the sun sets in the evening, often times returning to the dock at dusk.  I would rather pay the extra cost for the fuel and make more dives, I would also feel more comfortable operating an engine in the dark than operating a kite.  If you made good use of deck space for comfort, and yer schedule permited it, one might regularly go for a spin around the islands, justifying the expense of the kite system.

  Upgrade again from a diesel weekend cruiser to a true live-a-board, and the only time the thing moves on the surface is for extended voyages.  Wind power wins from cost savings or safety(through a system with no mechanical parts to fail in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle).  This doesn't eliminate the diesel generator entirely, as batteries still need charging and air tanks still need to be re-filled.

  All that being said, it only applies to adding wind power to the submersible itself.  If yer tow boat was flying the kite, it's a whole different story.  When I retire, I won't buy an RV and drive all over visiting family, I'll tie a kite to my submarine and sail all over visiting family.

regards,
Shin

Kite System

Availability