Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Desert Star Sport

In a message dated 3/14/2010 3:29:50 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, hc.fulton@gmail.com writes:
I think it would be worth trialing.
Some of the psubs I've seen have a little "fish finder" on them, mostly to show bottom profile and depth.They work on the "slice" method and the profile is a "built-up" picture from several signals. I think the side scan device is the same except looking sideways, Right ? Don't they take a "slice" and by adding all the slices together a picture is generated showing the echo's.
I know a regular "fish finder" can be had pretty cheaply, although like every thing, you get what you pay for. A friend has one that he paid $30 for. Not too fancy but it definitely shows fish from his little boat, and a bottom profile. It seems to me that he said it has a maximum depth reading of 300 feet. Like I said it's a cheap one and the screen on it is only about 3" X 4". He uses it off the coast here and the water gets deep pretty quick but he can tell when the bottom drops away like over a shelf, can see big boulders, gullies, and of course fish if there's a big one or several in a school. He's got enough experience with it that he can tell if it's kelp or rocks etc.
A steel sub should be easy if you know how to interpret the picture.
Frank D.