Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Desert Star Sport

Vance,

You mentioned UQC instead of pinger. Is that what you meant? Al Secor is working on a UQC solution, and Lea Nichols is working on a separate UQC solution independently. I believe both are expecting to have units available for inspection and appraisal at the July convention. I also believe it would be rather simple to include a "pinger" function in the UQC once they get the electronics figured out for communication. There's nothing wrong with a third UQC project I suppose, but before anyone goes off spending money on it they may want to wait to see the results of the current projects.

If a separate pinger project is warranted, then we should formulate a list of requirements first to ensure the project is as productive as possible. Among those that I see to start off would be:

1) Pinger frequency as standardized by ABS (32khz?)
2) Omnidirectional transducer for submarine
3) Directional transducer for tracker.

It looks like Reson has a set of transducers that *might* work at 32khz, although the specs for TC1026 say that it will only reach down to 34khz. It will be interesting to see what they return for a price. This is probably a good time to announce that I have secured special member pricing for AIRMAR transducers from a US distributor. Unfortunately, AIRMAR does not produce a 32khz transducer so is not a resource for an ABS type pinger. The distributor is a supplier of marine products and have other items that may prove useful to psubbers. I will send a more detailed message out to members soon.

Given that ABS standardized on 32khz, I'm a bit surprised that we are having such a hard time finding suppliers with 32khz centered transducers. I think it is worth contacting ABS to find out "what gives?" on this standard. One would assume they didn't randomly select 32khz.

Jon

vbra676539@aol.com wrote:
Andy,
I put a request in to Reson this morning for a transducer quote. A basic UQC is simple electronically (or so I've always been told). If the transducers aren't out-of-this-world expensive, do you think we could group up and figure out a base unit to drive it? With all David's work, it seems likely that we could. Then we could have a home-grown system. The transducer itself is actually the most difficult part for the home-builder. If we can get that within our reach, couldn't we just build our owna? Or maybe lock David in the basement with a shopping cart full of parts and enough pizza to keep him alive until he gets them all built!! If that seems even slightly reasonable, do you have any other ideas (cheaper) about proper transducers for this application?
Vance