Design team (was: Horray for Jon's psubs group sub)

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999 16:40:05 -0400 Jonathan Shawl writes:
>True, but what if we all try to change all that,  what about something
like
>this idea....
>What if the entire group working together like a design teem would, in a
>orderly way, was to go through and design a small personal dry sub,
let's
>say similar to my Yel-o-Sub and or a Kittredge sub. Using low cost and
>off the shelf technology as much as we can so as to make it a truly
>personally affordable sub.

Except for the design team part, this is what we're all doing.

>Then as we work out the details right down to
>dimensions, we build the sub virtually on a web site showing all the
drawings,
>prints, and calculations that go along with it. Also list the sources of
the
>materials and parts chosen. Also list the sources of the engineering
data and
>formulas. That way every one can check each others work for accuracy.
>Then by the time we get it done we would have a complete set of  plans,
>made, checked and reviewer by the group. Now that would answer allot of
>questions wouldn't it. Now that would be a P-SUB!

This sort of thing was in progresss on the multihulls list, before I left
it
 about three years ago.   The design of a 100+ foot yacht was in
progress.
They'd chosen a basic shape, and the details were being e-mailed back
and forth between some real experts and some real amateurs.   As far
as I know, the design was firmed up finally and construction was going
to be started.

I see no reason why it couldn't be done here.   If nothing else, it would
be
a tutorial in design.

>Any body interested in helping
>me out in doing something like this? I know already that a couple of you

>are. I would have no problem with handling the web site part of it and
kind
>of help guide or organize the effort.

I'm in, Jon.

>I'm willing anyway. I have a list of questions
>in mind to get us started. If we try something like this I think we
should
>lay it out over about a 1 year, maybe more or less depending on how it
goes,
>JUST NOT 20 YEARS.

Given the ponderous nature of this meduim, I'd say two years is more
likely.   As a minimum.     (Phil, how long does it take?)

>Maybe we should set up a schedule, something like,...
>Overall general spec.'s now, then Hull design this month and viewports
>the next etc. and so on down the list of major components. Some things
we
>just need to go back and dig up from the past discussions.

Or perhaps have teams handling one particular aspect of the design.   A
group to handle the battery specs, one to provide the viewport design,
some others to decide how it'll all be wired, etc.

>I know this would be fun to say the least. And if anybody builds and
tests
>the resulting design for real, that would be even better. I think many
of us
>kind of thought, or hoped at least, that this is more like what we would
>find here when we first arrived at the P-sub site.

Yeah, it would be fun.   And that's what life is all about.

>Now I think this approach wouldn't be a bad idea for the wet sub people
in
>the group to try it also. You just need somebody that likes to get wet
>head it up. Sorry I like to stay dry. So what does everybody think,
should
>we take action or just talk about it?

Let's do it.   To have a wet and a dry design in  progress would teach
each
camp a lot about the other.

>Any way, that ought to stir things up, right Al?

My life is too quiet anyway.

>Jonathan Shawl

Let's all remember who came up with this idea!

Michael Holt